The Blue Zone “Sandbox” is for fully vaccinated visitors from countries not on the list of 63. Visitors must travel by air but can come from any country.
Traveling through Test and Go, Thailand’s quarantine-free travel plan is now the best method to enter Thailand; nevertheless, you must be from a qualifying country or a low-risk country to enter Thailand without quarantine.
Travelers who do not come from certified low-risk countries or who do not qualify for the Test & Go system are nevertheless allowed to visit Thailand.
The Thai government provides choices for tourists who are not qualified for the Test and Go program, although these options will still be dependent on your vaccination status:
- Blue Zone (Sandbox Program) – for fully vaccinated travelers for non-low-risk countries.
- Happy Quarantine (Alternative Quarantine Program) – for unvaccinated travelers.
In This Post
What is the Blue Zone Sandbox Program
Provinces that have completed at least 70% of their mass vaccinations and are ready to welcome foreign tourists are classified as Blue Zones. Sandbox sites are another name for Blue Zones places.
To participate in the Blue Zone Sandbox Program and go to Thailand, you must be:
- Tourists or travelers who have been fully vaccinated
- Traveling by air upon entering Thailand.
Travelers participating in the Blue Zone Sandbox program will be required to stay in a SHA+ hotel for seven days before being permitted to travel to other parts of Thailand.
What will happen during the Blue Zone Sandbox Program's 7-day stay?
- Day 0-1: First Test through RT-PCR test
- Day 6-7: Second Test through Antigen Test Kit (ATK) or self-testing ATK.
You are free to go to other Thailand places after your 7-day stay in a SHA+ hotel. Travelers must depart Thailand promptly after their scheduled stay if their stay is less than seven days.
Blue Zone Sandbox Destinations
There are 17 Blue Zone Sandbox places to select from; here is a list of all of them:
- Chon Buri (Banglamung, Pattaya, Si Racha, Ko Si Chang, and Sattahip – Na Jomtien and Bang Sarey)
- Chiang Mai (Mueang, Doi Tao, Mae Rim, and Mae Taeng)
- Trat (Ko Chang)
- Buri Ram (Mueang)
- Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin and Nong Kae)
- Phetchaburi (Cha-Am)
- Ranong (Ko Phayam)
- Rayong (Ko Samet)
- Loei (Chiang Khan)
- Samut Prakan (Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, and Ko Tao)
- Nong Khai (Mueang, Sangkhom, Si Chiang Mai, and Tha Bo)
- Udon Thani (Mueang, Ban Dung, Kumphawapi, Na Yung, Nong Han, and Prachaksinlapakhom).
Thailand Requirements for Blue Zone Sandbox Program Tourists
To enter Thailand successfully under the Blue Zone Sandbox Program, the following documents must be shown to authorities before departure and upon arrival:
1- Thailand Pass QR Code
Apply for a Thailand Pass QR Code here. To acquire the QR Code, you will need to fill out the appropriate information, submit the necessary documents, and wait for the approval.
Thailand Pass is a replacement for the Certificate of Entry (CoE); for further information, see here.
2- Vaccination Certificate
Proof that you have been completely immunized will be required.
The vaccination you get must be one of those recommended by the Thai Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) or the World Health Organization (WHO) and delivered at least 14 days before your scheduled travel date.
Children under the age of 18 are exempt from vaccination requirements as long as their parents or guardians are.
3- Medical Certificate for COVID-19 Result
The RT-PCR Covid-19 test result must be negative. The test must be performed no more than 72 hours before your planned departure date.
If you have recently recovered from COVID-19, you will additionally want a Certificate of Recovery. It will act as proof that you have been COVID-19-free for at least 3 months.
The critical details that must be included in the Fit to Fly certificate are as follows:
– Letterhead/ Logo showing the name of the clinic/ urgent care
– Name of the Doctor/Physician/Nurse/Healthcare provider.
– Medical license number
Sample of the Fit to fly certificate
Samples of a Fit to fly form. The applicant may download the Fit to fly form at here
Sample of the document that is not considered as a Fit to fly certificate
4- Travel Insurance or COVID-19 Insurance
You must have travel insurance or COVID-19 insurance with a minimum of $50,000 coverage.
If you test positive for Covid-19, it will cover any Covid-19-related incidents.
5-Payment Confirmation for SHA+ Hotel Reservation
To get entrance into Thailand, you must book a SHA+ hotel for 7 days. Your SHA+ hotel booking must contain the following items:
- RT-PCR COVID-19 Test
- Antigen Test Kit (ATK)
- Pre-arranged airport transfer
- Accommodation for at least 7 nights.
List of Thailand SHA+ Hotels for Blue Zone Sandbox Program Travelers:
- Aloft Bangkok – Sukhumvit 11
- Mövenpick Hotel Sukhumvit 15 Bangkok
- Citadines Sukhumvit 8 Bangkok
- Grande Centre Point Hotel Terminal 21
- Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Sukhumvit 11
- Royal President Hotel
- Solitaire Bangkok Sukhumvit 11
- GLOW Sukhumvit 5
- Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit
- Millennium Hilton Bangkok
- Shangri-La Bangkok
- The Peninsula Bangkok
- Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
- Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
- Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
- Andamantra Resort and Villa Phuket
- Diamond Cliff Resort And Spa
- DoubleTree by Hilton Phuket Banthai Resort
- Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket
- Burasari Phuket
- Oceanfront Beach Resort
- Impiana Resort Patong
- Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central
- Ibis Phuket Patong Hotel
- Phi Phi Harbour View Hotel
- Phi Phi Cliff Beach Resort
- Phi Phi Long Beach Resort and Villa
- Paradise Resort Phi Phi
- SAii Phi Phi Island Village
- Phi Phi Holiday Resort
- Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel
- PP Princess Resort
- Bhu Nga Thani Resort & Spa
There are several additional certified SHA+ hotels in the 17 Blue Zone Sandbox Destinations that you may book according to your preferred location.
This article is mainly about traveling to Thailand under the Blue Zone Sandbox Program scheme; there are additional programs that the Thai government has implemented, such as the:
Please choose the plan that best suits your needs as a visitor to Thailand.
Do I have to be quarantined once entering Thailand?
Non-Thai citizens are subject to communicable illness legislation procedures, including a 14-day quarantine at the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ). The applicant is responsible for arranging for the 14-day Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ).
More information, including a list of acceptable hotels (in Thai), may be obtained at http://hsscovid.com/ or on the website of the Royal Thai Embassy.
Should I book a flight or an ASQ first?
It is determined by flight and ASQ availability, as well as the policies of the ASQ and the airline.
Many ASQs ask applicants to present evidence of travel reservation or flight ticket in order to book a room.
*** Please ensure that the arrival date corresponds to the ASQ reservation***
During Your Stay
Wait for the test result within the hotel room. *While the waiting period should be within 24 hours, it may vary between 24-48 hours, depending on the laboratory’s operating time.
If testing negative for COVID-19, you will receive an Antigen Test Kit (ATK) for COVID-19 self-testing on Day 6-7.
Get an alert for the self ATK testing on Day 6-7, and to record the result in the MorChana application.
Practice the D-M-H-T-T-A precautions: D – Distancing, M – Mask wearing, H – Handwashing, T – Temperature check, T – Testing for COVID-19, and A – alert application.
When You Are Leaving
Free to go anywhere in Thailand or leave Thailand to other countries. However, travellers are advised to follow the guidelines and measures announced by the respective province/country of their destination.